Skip Navigation



Johns Hopkins is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for the training of veterans, service members, eligible spouses and dependents under the provisions of the various federal laws pertaining to VA educational benefits. Information about VA education benefits is available at or call 1-888-442-4551.

Initial Enrollment

Students eligible for VA education benefits must first apply and be admitted to one of the schools within the University. In order to receive educational benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, students must apply for benefits using the VONAPP application. The U.S. DVA will review the application. If eligible for education benefits, the Department of Veterans Affairs will send a Certificate of Eligibility Letter to the student.

Eligible dependents of veterans should refer to to obtain the correct application form depending on the service member’s dates of service.
Note: If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete the VA 22-1995 Form
(Change of Program or Place of Training) through VONAPP (Veterans Online Application).
Copies of the Certificate of Eligibility Letter as well as other VA forms (DD-214) must be submitted to the School Certifying Official, Nancy Carr, via email or faxed to 410-516-6477. If preferred, forms can be mailed to:
Johns Hopkins University
Office of the Registrar-75 Garland Hall
Veterans Education Benefits
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
Students eligible for Post 9/11, Chapter 33 benefits register in the same manner as non-veteran students. A tuition payment is made by the Department of Veterans Affairs directly to the university. The amount of payment is governed by the student's eligibility established by the VA. The current annual tuition cap set by the VA for private schools is $21,970.46. The student is responsible for the remaining tuition.
Students eligible for VA education benefits (excluding Post 9/11, Chapter 33) register and pay their university bills in the same manner as non-veteran students. Reimbursement is made to the student by the Department of Veterans Affairs on a monthly basis. The amount of reimbursement is governed by the student's rate of pursuit calculated by the number of courses taken during a semester.

Re-enrollment (each semester)

Students must request certification each semester and should inform the School Certifying Official at the time of registration that they wish to be re-certified under the provisions of their original VA Form 22-1990. Students receiving VA education benefits must take courses that lead toward the exact objective (usually a specific degree) on the original VA application. Otherwise, they must submit a Request for Change of Program (VA Form 22-1995).
Veterans are certified on a per semester basis. Failure to submit a request each semester will result in a presumption that benefits are not being sought for that term. An emailed request can be sent to Nancy Carr at
Note: Students utilizing VA education benefits must let their Certifying Official know immediately of any change in their status or program that might affect the amount of their payment from the VA.

Standards of Progress

Continuation of VA payments depends on the student meeting the University's academic standards for all students. The student must also meet any standards of progress which may be established by VA regulations.

Yellow Ribbon

Johns Hopkins University does participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Yellow Ribbon is applied to eligible veterans on a first come, first served basis. Contact Nancy Carr at or 410-516-6635 for more detailed information.

Tuition Assistance

If utilizing tuition assistance, please email authorized TA forms to Nancy Carr at