To All Full-Time Students in the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering:
It is University policy that all full-time students in the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering maintain adequate health insurance coverage to provide protection against unexpected accidents and illnesses. As a full-time student, you will be automatically enrolled in the University's student-sponsored health benefits plan, and the plan premium will be charged to your university student account unless proof of comparable health insurance is provided for students eligible to waive.
If you have private insurance coverage comparable to the University plan, then you may be eligible to submit a waiver request form via your student self-service account during the open-enrollment period (Self-Service Login). The open-enrollment period for submitting waiver requests will begin on July 1, 2016, and end on September 15, 2016. Late waivers will not be accepted after September 15.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are listed on the Health Insurance Page of your self-service account.
International Students with an F1 or J1 Visa status are not eligible to waive and are required to purchase the University Plan.
Student Athletes - be sure you are aware of the Athletic Medical Insurance Policy before waiving coverage.
- It is the sole responsibility of the student athlete and his/her family to verfiy that their insurance plan meets the criteria set forth and to alert the athletic training department if there are any changes to their insurance coverage.
- Note: JHU will not cover any expenses generated by insurance coverage that does not meet the waiver criteria.
Details about the student health benefit plan offered by the University are provided at the following link: CHP Student Health Benefits Plan Brochure. The 2016-2017 Student Accident and Sickness Plan will be administered by Consolidated Health Plans. A few significant benefits offered in the Plan are as follows:
- Includes services rendered by a specialist and telemedicine services and services by a Consultant (services must be requested by the attending physician for the purpose of confirming or determining a diagnosis). Preventative Care - deductible does not apply.
- Prescription Drugs are paid at 100% of Negotiated Rates or Reasonable and Customary Allowances following a $15.00 co-pay for generic prescription drugs and $25.00 co-pay for brand name prescription drugs. The co-pay for prescriptions dispensed at the Student Health and Wellness Center is even less.
- Unlimited lifetime aggregate maximum per accident or illness.
- A $250.00 deductible per plan year deductible. This deductible will be reduced to $75.00 per occurrence (to a maximum of $250.00 per policy year), when treatment is first provided at the Student Health and Wellness Center or the Counseling Center, and when you are referred to outside providers by the Health and Wellness Center or the Counseling Center.
- A national network of hospitals and physicians to reduce out-of-pocket costs to students traveling outside the Baltimore-Washington area. To locate the nearest hospital or health care provider who is part of the Cigna PPO Network, go to www.cigna.com or contact CHP at (877) 657-5044.
- Unlimited Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coverage as well as Worldwide Travel Assistance.
- Vision discount program that lets you save money on eyeglasses, contact lenses, and nonprescription items such as sunglasses and contact lens solution at thousands of locations nationwide.
You will be able to print out your new insurance ID card beginning on the effective date of August 15 for the fall semester or February 15 for the spring semester. If you have enrolled in the CHP Plan outside of the open-enrollment period (due to a life-qualifying event, i.e., loss of coverage, recently married, etc.), then you will have access to your online ID card 2-4 days after processing your enrollment form.
If you already have health insurance comparable to the University plan, you may be eligible to waive this offer of insurance coverage. Go to your self-service homepage and select Personal Info on the Dashboard tab, then click on "Health Insurance" listed on the drop-down menu. This will take you to the page for waiving health insurance.
Select Waive Health Insurance and follow the instructions for submission.
Note: If the waiver request form meets all waiver criteria and is accepted then you will be waived for the entire academic year. Contact the Office of the Registrar if your insurance coverage changes during the academic year. Please be aware that a waiver request form must be submitted each academic year regardless if your insurance information has changed or not.
If you do not complete a waiver or the waiver submitted has been denied, you will remain enrolled in the student health benefits plan and your student account will be charged for individual coverage. No exceptions to the waiver criteria will be made.
If you have any questions in reference to the health insurance requirement, contact the Office of the Registrar at:
410-516-3328 / 410-516-8079 or ASENverify@JHU.edu