To All Full-Time Students in the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering:
It is University policy that all full-time students in the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering maintain adequate health insurance coverage to provide protection against unexpected accidents and illnesses. As a full-time student, you must either purchase the University plan or sign a waiver indicating you have health insurance coverage comparable to the University plan (International Students are required to purchase the University plan.) Details about the student health plan offered by the University are provided in a brochure available upon request or at www.chpstudent.com/jhu.
The 2014-2015 Student Accident and Sickness Plan will be administered by Consolidated Health Plans. A few significant benefits offered in the Plan are as follows:
- Well physician visits, for students and dependents, will be covered and are exempt from the Plan deductible.
- Prescription Drugs are paid at 100% of Negotiated Rates or Reasonable and Customary Allowances following a $15.00 co-pay for generic prescription drugs and $25.00 co-pay for brand name prescription drugs. The co-pay for prescriptions dispensed at the Student Health and Wellness Center is even less.
- Unlimited lifetime aggregate maximum per accident or illness.
- A $250.00 deductible per plan year deductible. This deductible will be reduced to $75.00 per occurrence (to a maximum of $250.00 per policy year), when treatment is first provided at the Student Health and Wellness Center or the Counseling Center, and when you are referred to outside providers by the Health and Wellness Center or the Counseling Center.
- A national network of hospitals and physicians to reduce out-of-pocket costs to students traveling outside the Baltimore-Washington area. To locate the nearest hospital or health care provider who is part of the Cigna PPO Network, go to www.cigna.com or contact CHP at (877) 657-5044.
- Unlimited Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coverage as well as Worldwide Travel Assistance.
- Vision discount program that lets you save money on eyeglasses, contact lenses, and nonprescription items such as sunglasses and contact lens solution at thousands of locations nationwide.
- If you DO NOT have health insurance comparable to the University's Student Health Insurance Plan, you must purchase the Plan provided by the University. Visit the Consolidated Health Plan website for online enrollment and brochure or call the Registrar's Office at (410) 516-3328. The website provides a summary of your benefits, plan provisions, limitations and exclusions. You will be able to print out your new insurance ID card online shortly after your application is processed. It is highly recommended that you register as a member online to readily access all information.
- If you DO HAVE health insurance comparable to the University plan, and wish to waive this offer of insurance coverage, go to the Consolidated Health Plan website and complete your waiver online. If for some reason you are unable to utilize the website for waiving, please complete the separate Waiver Form, enclose a legible copy of your current insurance identification card, and return it to the Office of the Registrar, 75 Garland Hall, 3400 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218.
- *Note: This must be completed every school year regardless if your insurance information has changed or not.
- If you do not enroll or complete a waiver by September 15, you will be enrolled in the plan and your student account will be charged for individual coverage.
If you have any questions in reference to the insurance requirement, feel free to contact the Registrar's Office at 410-516-3328. Any questions regarding health forms, immunizations and the health portal, should be directed to the Student Health and Wellness Center at (410) 516-8270.
*For Engineering Graduate Students Only - Please review insurance information at: http://eng.jhu.edu/wse/page/graduate-health-insurance.