To All Full-Time Students in the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering:
It is University policy that all full-time students in the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering maintain adequate health insurance coverage to provide protection against unexpected accidents and illnesses. As a full-time student, you must either purchase the University plan or sign a waiver indicating you have health insurance coverage comparable to the University plan (International Students are required to purchase the University plan). Details about the student health plan offered by the University are provided in a brochure available upon request or at www.aetnastudenthealth.com.
The 2013-2014 Student Accident and Sickness Plan will be administered by Aetna Student Health. A few significant benefits offered in the Plan are as follows:
- Well physician visits, for students and dependents, will be covered and are exempt from the Plan deductible.
- Prescription Drugs are paid at 100% of Negotiated Rates or Reasonable and Customary Allowances following a $15.00 co-pay for generic prescription drugs and $25.00 co-pay for brand name prescription drugs. The co-pay for prescriptions dispensed at the Student Health and Wellness Center is even less.
- $1,000,000 lifetime aggregate maximum per accident or illness.
- A $250.00 deductible per plan year deductible. This deductible will be reduced to $75.00 per occurrence (to a maximum of $250.00 per policy year), when treatment is first provided at the Student Health and Wellness Center or the Counseling Center, and when you are referred to outside providers by the Health and Wellness Center or the Counseling Center.
- A national network of hospitals and physicians to reduce out-of-pocket costs to students traveling outside the Baltimore-Washington area. To locate the nearest hospital or health care provider who is part of the Preferred Provider Network, call Aetna Student Health at (800) 558-8845 or go to Aetna's online DocFind Service.
- Unlimited Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coverage as well as Worldwide Travel Assistance.
- Vision One®, a discount program that lets you save money on eyeglasses, contact lenses, and nonprescription items such as sunglasses and contact lens solution at thousands of locations nationwide.
- If you DO NOT have health insurance comparable to the University's Student Health Insurance Plan, you must purchase the Plan provided by the University. Visit the Aetna Student Health website for online enrollment and brochure or call the Registrar's Office at 410-516-8079. The web site provides a summary of your benefits, plan provisions, limitations and exclusions. A permanent insurance I.D. card will be mailed to you shortly after your application is processed or you may print an I.D. card directly from the Aetna website. It is highly recommended that you register as a member online to readily access all information.
- If you DO HAVE health insurance comparable to the University plan, and wish to waive this offer of insurance coverage, complete the separate Waiver Form, enclose a legible copy of your current insurance identification card, and return it to the Office of the Registrar, 75 Garland Hall, 3400 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. You may also waive the insurance at Aetna Student Health.
*Note: This must be completed every school year regardless if your insurance information has changed or not.
- If you do not enroll or complete a waiver by September 15 you will be enrolled in the plan and your student account will be charged for individual coverage.
If you have any questions in reference to the insurance requirement, feel free to contact the Registrar's Office at 410-516-3328. Any questions regarding health forms, immunizations and the health portal, should be directed to the Student Health and Wellnes Center at (410) 516-8270.
*For Engineering Graduate Students Only - Please review insurance information at: http://eng.jhu.edu/wse/page/graduate-health-insurance.