Click here to access the executive staff application!
- To provide an effective, efficient program addressing the comprehensive and specialized needs of first-year students and transfer students as they begin their undergraduate careers at Johns Hopkins University.
- To provide undergraduates with opportunities to develop their organizational, managerial, interpersonal, and creative skills through participation in leadership and volunteer positions in the program.
- To work collaboratively with faculty, students and the administration to foster a supportive, engaged, and spirited community of scholars.
- The new student orientation program is a function of the Office of the Dean of Student Life. The executive chair is the chief student leader and works directly with the Student Life staff to coordinate a comprehensive and successful program. The Orientation office is located in the lower level of Levering Hall and serves as the working and meeting space for the program.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 and no record of academic dishonesty.
- Must be full time undergraduate in the spring and fall semester of 2014.
- Significant leadership experience.
- Orientation experience beneficial, but not required.
- Students may seek and obtain non-orientation related summer internships during their experience as an executive staff member of the orientation program. However, some restrictions apply to these summer internships because planning the new student orientation program is an important and rigorous task. The restrictions on summer internships are as follows:
- Must be within Baltimore
- Not meet more than 2 days a week
- End fully by August 1st
- Executive staff receives a $3,000 stipend, which is paid in increments from June 1st through August 31st, with paychecks direct deposited on the 15th and the final day of every month. The staff will also receive up to three free credits towards a summer course in the first summer session only. Students may not take courses after the first summer session.
- Mid-November/December - 5 hours a week to select executive staff members
- Late January - 3 day staff on-campus retreat from Wednesday, Jan. 22nd – Friday, Jan. 24th.
- February – End of Semester - 2 hours per week for a weekly training meeting and volunteer selection
- June 6th & 7th - Off-campus staff retreat
- June - approximately 30 hours per week
- July - approximately 40 hours per week
- Early August - approximately 40 hours per week
- Mid-August - full time – Orientation becomes only responsibility
- Early September - 2 hours a week for wrapping up tasks
Applications for the executive staff members must be submitted via email attachment to Rachel Drennen at email@example.com. Applications are due Monday, December 2nd, 2013 by 5PM. If selected for an interview, an initial meeting with Student Life staff will be scheduled. Click here to access the application!
Some of the 2013 Orientation Staff and Volunteers!