Skip Navigation

Student-Community Liaison banner image



Not all addresses in the areas surrounding Johns Hopkins qualify for a Residential Parking Permit. For the most part, you may NOT get an RPP if you live in any dormitory or large multi unit building. Most smaller apartment buildings and single family or rowhomes DO qualify for an RPP. To find out if your address qualifies for a Residential Parking Permit, call the Baltimore Parking Authority at 443-573-2800.

If your vehicle is registered in YOUR name, in the state of Maryland and to your current address - take your registration card, your driver's license and a form of proof of residency (see below) to 200 W. Lombard St, suite B and purchase your permit.

If your vehicle is not registered in your name and/or has out of state tags - you need to follow the steps below:

STEP 1) Is your vehicle registered in your name?  
Yes, my vehicle is registered in my name - proceed to step #2
No, my vehicle is registered in someone else’s name
The person to whom the vehicle is registered must provide you with a signed and notarized letter stating that you have permission to use the vehicle. The letter should include the following: make, model, year and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle. It should include the full name of the person to whom the car is registered and your full name. Proceed to step #2.

STEP 2) Is your vehicle registered in the state of Maryland (Do you currently have Maryland license plates)?
Yes, my vehicle has Maryland tags - proceed to step #3
No, my vehicle has out of state tags.
You must get a “Non resident permit” from the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA). To do so, you will need the following:

  •  the current registration paper for the vehicle
  •  the name of the insurance company AND the current insurance policy number
  •  the complete address of where you are living in Maryland including zip code
  •  your current school identification (your JCard).
  •  You may need to show a copy of the notarized letter from step #1 if the vehicle is not in your name.

Go to a FULL SERVICE MVA branch office. The closest one is here . Ask for and fill out form VR-111. Here is an example of form VR-111 . Non resident permits cost $27 per year. Once you receive your sticker, you must affix it properly to your windshield. Be certain to keep YOUR copy of the APPROVED VR-111 application!!! You need this to get a parking permit! Proceed to step 3.

STEP 3) Go to 200 W. Lombard St. Suite B Baltimore, Maryland 21201. Bring with you your JCard, your approved VR-111 (if you needed one)  and  Required Proof Of Residency

A current lease *, settlement papers (less than 30 days old), landlord's notarized statement, current vehicle registration, driver's license MVA NRP application processed receipt, MVA identification card, current house phone bill, utility bill or cable bill (less than 30 days old showing applicant's name and address) will be accepted as proof of residency. *Month to month or automatic renewal leases require additional documentation. (Current house phone bill, utility bill, or cable bill.) All letters to this office must be notarized. Verbal confirmation cannot be accepted. Permit requests are not processed through the mail. ALL INFORMATION MUST BE PRESENTED AT THE TIME OF EACH REQUEST FOR A PERMIT

****Example***** You are a student driving a car registered in your father’s name and displaying NJ license plates. You need the notarized letter (step #1) from your father (the registered owner) giving you permission to use the vehicle while in Maryland. You need YOUR copy of your completed and approved Non Resident Permit form VR-111 from the Maryland MVA (step #2). You also need one of the following:

  • a copy of your current lease OR
  • a notarized statement from your landlord OR
  • a current utility, cable or land line phone bill (not your cell phone bill) that is in your name.

You will need your JCard and your driver’s license..

Residential Parking Permits (RPP) currently cost $20 per year. Area 12 RPPs are valid from Nov 1 - Oct 31 of each year. There is no pro-rating for a permit. If you buy your permit in August, you will have to buy a new permit in October.   

Questions? Call Baltimore City Parking Division at 443-573-2800.