January 9, 2014
32nd Annual MLK Commemoration on Friday at Noon
Attend a day of celebration at the 32nd anniversary of the Johns Hopkins Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration on Friday, Jan. 10, at noon in Turner Auditorium. Freeman A. Hrabowski III, one of "Time" magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World and president of UMBC, will be the keynote speaker. This year's theme is "Equal Justice and Equal Opportunity: Our Children Deserve No Less."
The program will feature a video tribute of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial in Washington, D.C., and gospel selections performed by Unified Voices, a high-spirited choir made up of Johns Hopkins employees and members of the East Baltimore community. The event will be simulcast in the Great Hall/Levering on Homewood’s campus.
In what’s become a highlight of the commemoration, eight faculty, staff, and students representing Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System will receive the Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Award. This honor recognizes outstanding commitment to volunteer community services and humanity in the spirit of the life that Dr. King lived.
The 2013 recipients are:
• Nusaiba Baker—graduate student, Krieger School of Arts and Sciences
• Brian Boyle—graduate student – Advanced Academic Programs
• Kristin Sheffield-Hunt—Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
• Arthur Burnett—School of Medicine
• Ede Taylor—Office of Community Health, Johns Hopkins Health System
• Anthony Walker—Corporate Security, Johns Hopkins Hospital
• Bridget Calver—Operations Support & Business Process Management, Johns Hopkins Health Care
• Jennifer Lockhart—OBGYN, Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
Plan to attend and invite a colleague, or view a closed-circuit simulcast at any of these sites:
• All Children’s Hospital, Outpatient Care Center Classroom B
• Applied Physical Laboratory, main campus, Room 5-101
• Homewood campus, Levering Hall Great Hall
• Howard County General Hospital, Medical Library
• Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Carroll Auditorium
• Johns Hopkins HealthCare, Deer Creek Conference Room
• Johns Hopkins at Keswick, Auditorium
• Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, Wyman Park, Room 302
• Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, White Marsh, Wilczek Room
• Sheikh Zayed Tower, Chevy Chase Bank Auditorium Room 2119A
• Sibley Memorial Hospital, Renaissance Conference Room 2
• Suburban Hospital, Auditorium
For details, visit:
The Today's Announcement for Students is improving!
The last date to submit through the old form was August 29, 2016. To submit an announcement: http://hub.jhu.edu/submit-announcement/
To submit an event: http://hub.jhu.edu/submit-event/ and under the student organization's Hopkins Groups page: groups.jhu.edu.
If the event is a organization meeting, feel free to submit those to Hopkins Groups.
If you would like an announcement included in the university's daily Today's Announcements emails for students, faculty and staff, you can submit it through the Today's Announcement submission form. Announcements will run once, the day after they are submitted, and appear at the discretion of our editors. For your announcement to be included in the following day's email message, it must be submitted no later than noon the day before you would like it to go out.
If you are submitting an event—something that happens on a specific date, at a specific time—please visit our Submit an Event page.