Student Services Excellence Initiative
The Student Services Excellence Initiative (SSEI) is a multiyear, universitywide effort to improve the experience of Johns Hopkins students by refining administrative procedures and updating technology for delivering services in six key areas:
- Recruitment and Admissions
- Financial Aid
- Career Services and Alumni Tracking
Ultimately, the project will result in the redesign and replacement of the current student information system, which is challenged by functional weaknesses and is quickly becoming outdated. But the effort goes beyond addressing technical concerns to prioritizing the experience of the users—students first and foremost, but also our faculty and staff whose efforts support student experience and student outcomes. Working groups for each area are sharing best practices, considering process improvements, and determining technology solutions that will enhance the university's delivery of student services moving forward.
The initiative began in late 2015 with an assessment of the current state of services in these areas. More than 200 students, staff, faculty, alumni, and trustees have shared their experiences in committee and working group meetings, and more than 3,000 students have provided feedback through surveys, individual interviews, and focus groups. SSEI is now beginning its first implementation phase with the guidence of a governing council and a project team. In addition, dozens of staff members from all nine academic divisions and from other organizations across the university (including the Sheridan Libraries, JH Tech Ventures, Development and Alumni Relations, Communications, and HR) are providing expertise and participating in work groups.
- Project governance structure (pdf)
- Governing council membership (pdf)
- SSEI implementation phases (pdf)
- The Hub: Multi-year initiative at Johns Hopkins focuses on improving student services
- The Hub: University launches Student Services Excellence Initiative
The project team includes:
- Jim Aumiller, Executive Director
- Rachel Gibson, Senior Program Manager
- Mark Chisamore, Senior Program Manager
- Geof Corb, Technology Lead
- Irene Zvagelsky, Technology Lead
- Joy Saunders, Business Analyst
- Kim Le, Project Administrator
SSEI wants feedback from the university community. Questions, ideas, and offers to assist are welcome by email at SSEI-Project@jhu.edu.
Want to stay up to date on project developments? Join our list to receive our email newsletter.